Sunday 18 October 2009

Bootcamp

Yesterday we succeeded in executing the best party we have ever done. It really was fantastic. 8 little boys all dressed up in camo face paint and bandanas, split up into 2 Units with Unit Sergeants to command them. It was little boy (or grown up boy, as my now 8 year old Toby would tell me) heaven. Challenges, hunts, digging for rations, making fire, building shelters, fireworks and throwing water bombs at the Enemy were all part of the proceedings. The Enemy was the highlight of the whole party with an incognito entrance from a friend (THANKYOU!) dressed all in black with a balaclava and gas mask to cover his head, he danced and 'martial arted' in front of the boys and let them throw water bombs at him whilst making scary noises. It was brilliant that the boys could beat a real true-life baddie.

Of course it took an awful lot of preparing and planning. These things don't just 'come together on the day'. I think I actually enjoyed the build up more than Toby did. It made me wonder, what on earth am I going to do when they don't want me to plan their parties anymore? I'll still be making the invitations and they'll have to try and find a tactful way of saying "Erm, Mum, would you mind not making the invites this year?" I'll be devastated!

It made me feel very grateful to be a mum who stays at home. I had time to make invitations, certificates and signs. I had time to focus on it and think about it in a way that I would not have done if I had been at work. I don't want to miss these moments. I want to always be here to make their birthdays days that they will still be talking about when they have children. On the way out of the party, one of Toby's friends said to his mum "They organised it themselves and it was really good!" Why was it really good? It was really good because we know Toby, we know his friends and we know what works with 7 and 8 year old boys.

Kids these days don't know how to party. All they know are the parties organised by someone other than their parents. Someone who doesn't know the tiny details of the things they like, someone who is doing it because they are being paid to do it not because they love the child and want the best for them. This is one way I show my boys how much I love them, and I hope it has made good memories for them. It certainly has for us. My only concern is that, now we have set the standard so high, how we are going to beat it next year.......

No comments: