Saturday 5 December 2009

Christmas Card Rant

Call me old fashioned, but I like to get Christmas cards that actually show what Christmas is all about. However, I have now been in 3 shops ( which with an escapee toddler in tow is about my limit ) and have so far found cards decorated with snowmen, christmas trees, Father Christmases, wintry scenes, presents, snowflakes, stockings and even a gingerbread man but no Jesus, Mary, 3 Kings or Shepherds. Not even a star or a crown!

It's no wonder that children these days don't really know what Christmas is about! Now I am not against all the other lovely things that we add on to Christmas. I am not an anti-Santa parent, and I certainly enjoy the run up to, and the excitement of Christmas. I tell my boys that Father Christmas is watching them - the ultimate bribe. We have stockings, presents, lights and all the other malarchy. But (and it's a massive but), we also make sure our boys know why we have Christmas. We tell them the story of Jesus's birth and we attempt to explain why it was so important. (Sometimes they listen, sometimes they sing songs over the top of our clearly boring voices about farts and boobies, but at least we try!) We have a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Day and sing Happy Birthday to him.

So, what am I supposed to do this year about my cards? Unfortunately I am not one of those ultra organised, super creative people who can make beautiful cards. So, please don't feel offended if you don't get a card from us this year. You will hopefully know that I just can't bring myself to buy a pack of cards adorned with a gingerbread man decorated with baubles.

No comments: