Sunday 3 January 2010

I Resolve.

Excitement and gluttonous waste of Christmas is over. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely. We enjoyed our house being full of the people we love. Despite having what felt like billions of people here, we have actually had the most chilled school holidays in our family history with the 2 biggest boys waking up after 8am most days. This is unheard of in our house, and it has been good for them to sleep and rest (although I am not looking forward to the growth spurt that will inevitably follow).

Now that we have all eaten in excess and been far too slovenly, we all try to appease ourselves by making New Years Resolutions. I am married to someone who lives, dreams and makes constant lists of goals. Thankfully I think we just about managed to get away without having to do the "Family Goal Setting" time that he wanted to do on New Years Day, but he has talked with the boys and they have all come up with 4 goals for the year (this is a huge improvement on the 30 goals he usually has). I wonder if it is a boy thing, because they are all very excited about and motivated by these goals. Would boys be more inspired to do something if they have set a goal for it? Perhaps I am just cynical and it is a good thing to set goals. Those goal-lovers always quote the good old "If you aim for nothing, you reach nothing" quote and I do understand that, but still I struggle to set myself up with goals that I will ultimately fail in.

Or perhaps I aim too high. Maybe I should resolve to do things that are easier to achieve. I do have a vague idea of the things I want to do this year, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are goals or resolutions. I am excited about this year. I want to make myself available to be used by my God, and I want to get to know Him more and love Him more. I want to be the best wife I can be by serving and loving my husband, and I want to inspire my boys to love God and His word and grow in their friendships with Him. But these are life 'goals', not just for this year. I won't suddenly at the end of the year decide not to do those things anymore!

Of course, the usual resolutions of losing weight, watching less TV, tidying the house more often and eating less chocolate will probably feature at some point but how many people do you know who set these goals year after year without ever achieving them? Exactly! What is the point?!

No comments: