Saturday 2 June 2012

Citizenship

As the rest of the country celebrates the Queen's Diamond Jubille, I began to wonder why I didn't quite feel the luuurve in the same way as everyone else. Is it just because life is so busy (and it really is) that I haven't had time to think about it? Is it because I'm not of my grandparent's generation and don't hold the royal family in the same regard as them? Is it because I don't quite feel 'British', even though I am? Why is it that I feel like I am committing treason just because I haven't bought union jacks to adorn my home and children? Why is it that I am (almost) unimpressed with the pomp and ceremony when last year I loved the romance and ceremony of the royal wedding?

And as I was pondering these matters whilst driving to Halfords with Jonah to buy new inner tubes, it dawned on me. I'm not 'anti royal'. I'm not against parties and celebrations (in fact, I love them!). I think the Queen does an outstanding job, especially at her age now, and has been 'head of state' through a tumultuous and significant 60 years. I respect her, and the job she does. No, the reason I am not feeling the excitement is because I do not feel a citizen (or subject, surely if we have a Queen we are subjects still?) of the United Kingdom.

As Reepicheep, that wondefully rich and funny character in Narnia once said in "Voyage of a Dawn Treader":

"While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepiceek will be head of the talking mice in Narnia."

Reepicheep's home was not Narnia. He delighted in it, fought for it and it's inhabitants and had adventures in it, but it was not his home. He longed for Aslan's Country. Everything about his life was a yearning for Aslan's Country. In the same way, whilst we can celebrate the Queen's Jubilee and the work she does, she is not our ultimate monarch. My King is in heaven, and I am His subject. Whilst we can give the Queen a thumbs up and say a "well done" to her, my longing is to hear the "well done" from my King.

My citizenship is not here on earth. Just like Reepicheep, I live here, love the people here and have adventures here, but my eyes are looking ahead to my real home. When Reepicheep saw his opportunity to enter Aslan's Country, he put down his sword and sailed into the enormous wave that would take him there. I cannot wait to put down those things I have used to fight my way through life here, sail that wave and enter the Kingdom of my God. Only then will I truly be able to celebrate, and only then will I truly feel at home.

So, whilst we are celebrating the Queen's reign of 60 years this weekend, let's think about the Kingdom that will last forever and the King who is waiting for us. Let's keep our eyes fixed on the 'unseen' things that are more real than the pomp and hype of the 'seen'. And let's remember where our citizenship lies.

1 comment:

Chris King said...

Totally agree with this. Gonna nick it for Sunday.