Thursday 6 June 2013

Comparison

Today was supposed to be a writing day. The only problem is that I can't think of anything to write. I know, it's hard to believe.

Last week I had two rejections. I tried to stay positive, but I'd worked really hard on those pieces and given alot of time to them. Now, when I try to write again, I just see all the brilliant articles that are out there already and all the wonderfully skilled and talented writers and wonder if I will ever have a 'breakthrough moment' like they've had.

And this is where the joy-stealing enemy 'Comparison' comes marching on in.

I should be pleased. I've had three articles published this year. But I'm not satisfied because other people are writing the things that I want to write. And, very irritatingly, they are doing a good job of it too. If I could put their smugly perfect one-liners and those heart sinking 'no thank-you' emails to the back of my mind, I might be able to focus. But I can't.

Why do we do this to ourselves? It doesn't matter what it is. Maybe there is someone whose children willingly eat five portions of fruit and veg a day. Perhaps you know a perfect mother whose baby sleeps all night (or so they say). Or it could be one of those families who doesnt face a screen battle every hour of every day. Maybe you are a working mum who would like to stay at home, or vice versa. Or do you race around attempting to keep your children sitting still in church while other families seem to have waxwork children? Whatever situation we find ourselves in, we manage to find someone who is doing it better than us.

Comparison robs us of our confidence in our own ability and contentment in our situation.

And so, I battle through the fog of 'everyone else' being better than me and hope that soon enough I will come out the other side in bright daylight.

Or, perhaps it's just me. Maybe none of you compare yourselves at all.

No comments: