Friday 21 March 2014

The day I sobbed over a dying worm....

....was the day I realised I couldn't live a normal life anymore.

I'm not even joking.  The injustices I saw on our trip to India scarred my heart so deeply that everything has changed.  The last two weeks have been spent in a blur of spontaneously erupting tears which were sometimes quite embarrassing.  The rawness of the wound meant that it was easily hurt again (even by a dying worm, baking in the sunshine of our garden - it really was that bad).

The pain and frustration is finally beginning to fade in it's intensity (thank goodness - I don't think my sister could cope with another 'Rock Choir' rehearsal where the song is so emotive that I struggle to hold myself together!) and I am beginning to make sense of all I have seen and heard.

William Wilberforce, the slavery abolitionist of the 1800's famously said this: 

"You may choose to look the other way but you can never again say you did not know."

I can't look the other way anymore.  I've seen with my own eyes utterly desperate lives.  I've met the prisoners to a system of evil injustice.  I've watched as a mother washes her children's clothes in a dirty puddle while I sit wearing clothes washed by someone else.  I've chomped my way through delicious mouth-melting chocolate knowing that a young boy has been beaten and taken as a slave to pick the cocoa beans.  I've tucked up my boys into their soft, comfortable beds and kissed the, goodnight knowing that somewhere else under the same stars there are children with no bed, no kiss goodnight and no safety or protection from violence.  I've seen them.  I've met them.  I've loved them.

There's no going back from here now.  

And so over the next few blogs I am going to give you all a view into this world too because I don't want anyone to say they did not know.  

And then you can make your choice as to whether you look away or not.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have just come back from 10 days in SA and the only way I can describe what I have been feeling is 'irreversible damage' done to me by what I have seen, felt and experienced. I can't ever be the same again and I have hardly seen anything yet!