Sunday 12 January 2014

Climb Every Mountain....



Sometimes being alone is just blissful.  Especially when everywhere you go someone shouts your name and you have to lock yourself in the bathroom to escape into solitude (and even then they bang on the door, shouting tales at you or poking their little hands underneath the door).

But we weren't made to be alone.  In fact, our awesome creator (and yep, I do believe that) said "it's not good for man to be alone."  

Walking up a hill yesterday with our friends, I was reminded of this truth.

The boys scrambled, ran, jumped and skipped up the hill.  They didn't even seem to be tired.  I plodded, trying to pace myself and keep my eye on the boys who weren't even fazed by a sheer rock face.  Tantalisingly close to the summit, the climb became steeper.  I was tired by that point.  How could it be so difficult just when we were so close to reaching our goal? Surely there should be a 'sprint finish'...  Yet I wasn't sure I could make it.  I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult.  

Just as I was about to give up, I felt a hand on my back,  pushing me forwards.  Onwards.  Upwards.  My friend, who was rather puffed out herself, gave me (in Mario Kart terms) a boost.  

Had I attempted that hill climb alone, I would not have made it to the summit.  

Encouraged by my faithful friend, I reached my goal.  (Should I say at this point that the boys had been at the top for quite a while and were wondering where I was?)

And so, if you face mountains or hills this year, don't try to climb them alone.  You weren't made to.  Ask for a boost.  Admit you can't do it.  It's not a sign of weakness.  There is strength in community.  And when you feel that hand on your back, you will not regret it.

No comments: